The AGH University Main Library is one of the largest technical libraries in Poland. Its history is closely connected with the history and stages of development of the University. The library was established in the academic year 1921/1922 by the Senate Library Committee. Initially, it was located in a building at 18 Loretańska Street, and later at 7 Smoleńsk Street. In 1929, the collections were moved to a space in the newly built building of the AGH University at 30 Mickiewicza Avenue. During World War II, the collections were deposited in the Jagiellonian Library. Despite the prohibition by the authorities of the General Government, books were clandestinely loaned to students and employees of the AGH University because the University did not suspend its activities, and clandestine teaching was conducted.
After the war, the library collection returned to the main building of the University, which had been restored after the war damages. In 1949 Władysław Piasecki became the head and later the director of the library, a position he held until 1972. Thanks to his efforts, a standalone library building was constructed, and its ceremonial opening took place on May 3, 1966. In 1987, the building was named after Władysław Piasecki. After moving to the new premises, the library experienced dynamic development. Due to the introduction of new fields of study at AGH, the library's collection grew, and its subject matter expanded.
The 1990s were marked by the development of computerization, applied to almost all library processes, from acquisitions registration, through cataloging, information about collections, electronic registration of loans and returns, to organizing access to global electronic resources. The library's area is 6100 m². On the ground floor, there is the Circulation Desk, Open Access Area with about 60,000 textbooks available for self-service loans using self-service devices, and the Interlibrary Loans. The first floor houses the two-level Main Reading Room with hundred of seats for users (including 4 for individual scientific work) and the Reference Department Reading Room. On the second floor, there is the Special Collections Department Reading Room, where the PATLIB Patent Information Center and the Standards Information Point operate.
AGH University Main Library A. Mickiewicz Ave. 30, 30-059 Kraków, U-1 building phone +48 12 617 32 08 e-mail: email@example.com